Winter Wildlife - a full day seeking out our special winter visitors.
As famous as Shetland is for her incredible array of wildlife during the
summer months, winter can be equally as enthralling. Our lochs are jam-packed
with wintering wildfowl from Iceland, northern Europe and western Siberia
- hundreds of Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Teal and Goldeneye can be found with ease,
as can Icelandic Whooper Swans. For the really keen birder there's often a
goodie or two to be seen like a wintering White-billed Diver or a King Eider.
On the coast, further ornithological attractions include 'easy' Iceland and
Glaucous Gulls, Black Guillemots, Great Northern and Red-throated Divers,
masses of Long-tailed Ducks, Purple Sandpipers, Turnstones and the delightful
Slavonian Grebe. For mammal buffs, there are guaranteed close encounters with
both Common and Grey Seals (bring your cameras!) and we can often find small
numbers of Harbour Porpoise. Out on the hills, the frosty-coloured Mountain
Hare can be found with relative ease - unless it's snowing!. Winter is also
the best time of year to see Otters. There are many misconceptions about watching
Otters here in Shetland. Folk will tell you that dawn and dusk are the best
times, some folk will tell you they are impossible to see at any time of year
and some folk will tell you that they are so rare, you just don't stand a
chance. Trust us, adages like that are nothing more than old wives tales but
you do need to know how, where and what to look for - and that's where we
come into play! The short daylight hours mean that Otters are more active
in winter than at any other time of year and our favourite sites often yield
stunning views of animals on feeding forays - and it's not unusual for us
to see mothers with their cubs. So, join us for an exhilarating, educational
and fun day out this winter.
- Operates daily during the period 1 November - 31 March.
- Cost: £95 per person. Minimum 2 persons required to operate; £175 for one person if minimum number not achieved.
- Duration: 7 - 8 hours (typically) 0830 - 1600 (approx). Pick up in Sumburgh
or points north to Lerwick.
- Transportation: in our very own VW 9-seater minibus (ideal for photography).
- Lunch: please bring a packed lunch. We will provide hot drinks free of charge.
- Please note: wear warm, waterproof and windproof clothing plus strong, sturdy footwear (eg walking boots or a snug fitting pair of wellies).
- Binoculars: essential - provided for those that don't have a pair but please do let us know.
To book please e mail us or call us on 01950 460939. Please note a 25% booking fee is required at the time of booking (naturally refundable in the event of the trip being cancelled due to adverse weather etc.).